Sunday, July 17, 2011

First Post

With a new season comes a new menu.  Chef Matthew Maue’s last stand was a good one and now its time for a new page in the book of Tastings Wine Bar and Bistro.  We debuted our new summer menu on Tuesday and so far so good.  I have a personal connection or belief behind all of the items on this menu which makes it a special one.
                Our New England Clam Chowder is one of the dishes I enjoy the most just because of how whimsical it is.  When it comes to the table what you receive is totally un-expected but as the soup is poured tableside it really comes together.  I first created this “deconstructed” clam chowder when I was a sous chef at Sel de la Terre in the Natick collection.  We had a chefs table dinner once a month on Thursday nights and so I composed a cape cod themed dinner.  This was my second course and it wowed all of our guests so I’ve had a special place in my heart for this dish ever since.
                The goose sausage en croute is another fun dish.  I guess this dish is really Chef Maue’s last stand here at tastings to be quite honest.  Sandra O’Keere from Brambly farm in Norfolk raised some geese for Matt to use in his upcoming James Beard Sustainability dinner with Wil Gilson and Matthew Jennings.  He only needed a few and we took the rest to make into sausage.  Its really inspiring to have geese raised specifically for your restaurant and for your guests.  This is a very unique dish and I take it as a final goodbye to the former chef.
As I said, so far so good and I’m really excited for what is yet to come.   

No comments:

Post a Comment