Tuesday, August 2, 2011

earth

    I just got back from one of the better dining experiences I've had in a long time.  I went to earth in Kennebunkport, ME.  First of all, earth is a seasonal restaurant openned by Boston chef Ken Oringer.  I was told about earth by an ex-coworker of mine who's friend went to take on the position as head chef at earth.  The restaurant has only been open 2 months but seems to be doing great things.  As the name would imply, farm to fork is their operation.




   earth is in a "resort community" known as hidden pond, and believe me, it is incredibly hidden.  It really has the feeling of a secret garden because when you do finally reach the restaurant situated among log cabins, dirt, wood chips and trees, it seems like an ordinary "lodge".  Out back however is a full blown garden with all sorts of vegetables, picked daily (or hourly) for service.  The scope of the vegetables and greens includes raddichio, frisee, chickory, delicata squash, myriad tomatoes, herbs, fennel and peppers.  It was an absolutely beautiful site.  It was also really exciting to see chefs go out and pick herbs and vegetables throughout the duration of our dinner. 
   Our meal included a delicious tuna tartar with quail egg and nori emulsion.  Beautiful presentation.  I also had their cavatelli with fresh english peas, mint, and pecorino.  The skirt steak was absolutly delicious as well and everything was beautifully presented.  I think the majesty of eating in a garden made the experience that much better.
   I know this post sounds a bit like a yelp review but I had to do it.  The experience was so good that I had to share it.  If you ever get a chance to head up to kennebunkport maine, take the trip to hidden pond to find and eat at earth.  Too good to pass up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment